As I continue to enjoy the extra time from school to work on my tapestries I start to see the cars emerge a bit quicker. This week I redid the car on the right. I thought the top looked too broken up, it just didn’t work. The gray area in the middle was supposed to be a sunroof but it just didn’t scan well. So I took Betsey’s advice and simplified.
I know the concept of K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) but I find it hard to stay simple. I like to mix it up. However sometimes mixing it up just makes it look like a big mess. I think that is what is happening with the central area, the one I have been worrying about pretty much from the beginning. I was trying for subtle changes in coloring as it moved away from the viewer but it was not subtle enough, I don’t think. Perhaps when it is completely surrounded by other shapes and colors it will come into focus but I doubt it. However, as with all things it is a learning experience. What I am seeing is how one shape can dominate the entire canvas. Perhaps if it wasn’t so dark it would not overpower the rest of the shapes but right now it does. I will need to ask Betsey and Rita what to do to bring it into balance. Perhaps they will have some ideas.
In the meantime, since it is quite difficult to take a 7’ X 4’ pipe loom back and forth to the study group, I am working on another project on my smaller loom I have a vision for a city scene with people in it. For now I am working on sampling parts of it. I am presently finishing one of the vending stands, as you can see - a hot dog stand.
I am working it in embroidery floss both for its saturated colors and for its sheen. I like how the colors mix and how they stand out from the background. The final tapestry will include this object, people, and buildings. When I complete this object (it is almost done now) I plan to tackle the scary stuff, the people. I will keep you updated.